Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Charles Dicken's Christmas Faire!


Well, hello everyone! 

I am back with another blog post! This one is more lifestyle oriented! This blog post is all about the Charles Dickens Christmas Faire! This was the second year that I went and I wanted to share my experience with you.

By the way before I start I wanted to let you know that I will leave a link below this once my video is out so you can see live action shots of the faire, but for now I wanted to show you some of the shots I was able to get.                                     
Let's start with the fashion, this is not your typical street fair, dressing up is very appropriate for this type of fair and strongly advised. When you come to the Charles Dickens Faire you are submerged into another time; just imagine walking through doors and waltzing straight into The Christmas Carol. There is a smell of baking and booze and there are characters everywhere!
The dresses are gorgeous, but unless you are going to make these yourself, you are going to spend around $600 and up for a dress like this, trust me I looked. There are different fabrics, cuts, and styles of all of these dresses and you can't seem to take your eyes away from the beauty of the dresses.
This was actually something I didn't see last year, this woman (i'm sure) custom made her dress to be Dr. Who inspired. It was amazing!

So once you get into the faire, the first thing you see is the drink station, they have a few of those around the faire. They sell everything from soda and water to more "timely" drinks like mulled wine and Buttered Rum, which by the way was pretty good. Also, I would like to note that it is a timely drink for me because I live in America and we don't get Mulled wine and Buttered Rum here, so unless we make it ourselves, this is probably one of the few places we would find it.

 The one thing to know is most of the people are really nice, unless they are paid to be rude and it's part of their character, but most are really friendly. 




So now we move onto the shopping portion. Almost everything in the little shops are home made or vintage, and when I say vintage I mean they are from the 1800's or early 1900's. You could spend hours looking at everything and not buy a thing, but if you do want to purchase a trinket or two from the Dicken's Faire, be warned, for you will be spending a pretty penny.

Venders sell anything from home made fairy houses, to crystal skulls, to the gorgeous dresses and suits that you see everywhere, to even elven crowns and wands. Everything is unique and beautiful but quite expensive. So just be weary of that.



Let's talk about everyone's favorite subject, food! There are many different variates of food to try and experience. Of course you have the fish and chips, and the sweet nuts (which are almonds that, I believe, are covered with hot sugar), but there are also meat pies, geek food, just meat, and a lot more. There are also two restaurants like The Bohemian. I've always been intimidated by those because everyone in there has a costume on and play the part so well, I wouldn't know what to say back to them if they spoke to me. The food is actually not that expensive, it's about as bad as going to any fair really. I had Clam Chowder and Fries(Chips), and that cost me around $8.00. Not too bad.

These models were amazing! These women were in the windows of the main clothing shop that sold corsets and the dresses that most women wore to the fair. They would stand really still and try not to move, of course they would trade with other girls, or guys, every ten to fifteen minutes, but they did just an amazing job. I personally couldn't stand still in there let alone wear a corset while doing that.


So first of all, if you guys don't believe in Orbs...yea that's just "dust". Keep telling yourself that. 

There were little corners in random places of the faire that you would see not so aristocratic England. Of course you have to get your prostitutes and your pimps involved, how would the poor make money? So there were a couple of them roaming around as well asking for money and making eye contact with you. We even walked into a scene where the Pimp was asking his woman if she had made any money yet and she said no so he was about to beat her when another little man tried to fight him, it was a mess, but it was quite interesting. I hope I got that on video.

I don't want to speak so much about this area, it was where the belly dancer's would dance, I have  whole segment of this in my video that I mentioned previously and you will be able to see for yourself if you loved it or hated it.

Finally, I wanted to show you guys how my hair looked that day. That is all my real hair because I don't have one of those wigs that the girls wore with their dresses. If you guys want to see how I did this hair, I can show you in a tutorial. I looked more like Wendy Darling if anything, but I wanted to do something so I could somewhat fit in with the crowd.

Thanks for Reading! I hope you enjoyed this post! Video is up! Click HEREEEE






1 comment: