Monday, December 16, 2013

Outfit of the Night and Review: San Francisco's The Nutcracker!





Hey everyone! Today's blog post is about the San Francisco's Nutcracker. I went to go see that on the 12th of December and I have a few things I would like to speak about. First of all there will be spoiler's so if you are in the San Francisco and seeing the Nutcracker, please don't be mad if there are a few spoiler's in this blog post. Plus if you scroll down there will be a quick Outfit of the Night Pictures.
courtesy of sfgate
First, please tell me why the Nutcracker was the third "toy" that performed for the children,when Uncle Drosselmeyer brought the three toys out. I have never seen that in the performance before and i was sort of upset. I am also going to stress that I did not like that he was a red head, I am a red- head and I love red hair, but I'm going to be blunt here. The Nutcracker has always been a Brunette or had black hair, never light hair.

I LOVED THIS SCENE! It snowed on the stage during the snowflakes scene and I was in love of how magical everything was.  IF you were wondering, yes, there is a King and Queen of Winter in this rendition of The Nutcracker, which I thought was really pretty. I had no complaints about that, the dancers were amazing and it was just hands down, beautiful!

Now let's talk about the performances while Clara and the Nutcracker watch.

The performance I loved the best were of course the Russian Dancers, not only did they have the bet opening, but they were so energetic and awesome! The three male dancers jumped out of the Russian Eggs and it was so crazy and loud and amazing! I swear, they had the best applause at the end of the show.

The other dancer's were good as well except they added these three girls that were dressed with tutu's and garter belts flinging around these ribbons. Was not a fan. The dancers were great, but I just wasn't a fan of the characters.

Now I might be biased due to the fact that I am love with the Baryshnikov version of The Nutcracker and that one will always be my favorite, so when I found that Clara's younger character was different then the "Princess" Clara, I was sort of upset. I didn't like that there wasn't just one Clara, that they needed a "real" ballerina to play Princess Clara. I put parenthesis over "real" because the girl playing Clara as a child was good, but she didn't wear the pointed shoes so she could really dance, if that makes sense. In the Baryshnikov versions Clara was just Clara, no change in girls, she did everything.
By the way if you guys have not seen that version click HERE!!! it's honestly my favorite!!!

Oh but the ending, I did not like the way this Nutcracker did not end tragically. It was more like, she was happy after she woke up and that she just had the best dream ever, for which her Uncle intended. In the Baryshnikov version, she was torn away from her Nutcracker prince and was sadly looking out the window wondering if she would ever see him again. It was true love with Clara and the Nutcracker, but in the San Francisco Version it was a friendship and nothing more.

I feel like there should have been more to the ending then just waking up and happily running back to her bedroom.

Overall, great Ballet, not my favorite rendition of the story (with the extra characters and whatnot), but the dancers were amazing, the music was of course spectacular, and the effects were great. If you have never seen the Nutcracker and want to see this one, it's good, not old-school, but good. Very modernized in my opinion.

Our View, great Balcony seats!


The Chandelier was breathtaking!




Boots: My Enzo's
Dress: Go Jane (LINK)
Coat: Forever 21 last year
Purse: Gift


Close up was a bit weird looking, but you can see the true colors of the dress now!

Hope you guys enjoyed this post! More coming soon!

1 comment: